Go the Second Mile!

>> Friday, January 14, 2011





"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." (Matt 5:41)

I remember the first time I learned about this verse in school. I was probably seven or eight, and I thought to myself, "Who would go a second mile if they only had to go one? That's crazy!" That's exactly what those who Jesus was speaking to probably thought. The Jews were under Roman oppression. In those days, a Roman soldier who had to travel could compel a Jewish boy to walk a mile with him and carry his heavy pack. When Jesus told the Jewish people gathered around him to go a second mile, they probably thought He was nuts! When we look at the surrounding verses, we can see that this command was given in the context of teaching on retaliation:

People have always told you to take what is taken from you, but I tell you, don't retaliate! If someone hits you, let him hit you again! If someone tries to take your coat, give him your cloak too! If one of those Romans wants you to carry his pack for a mile, take it a second mile! Give to everyone who asks of you, and as for the person who wants to borrow, don't turn him and away. (Paraphrase of Matt 5:38-42)

I think the point that Jesus was trying to make is summed up with honoring one's authority! Honor does not mean doing what you absolutely have to, but rather, what you think would delight, and please the person who is in charge! Something interesting that I discovered recently in Mr. Gothard's book (49 Secrets of Power for Living) really caught my attention as I was studying this command:

He writes "...there are two types of power when it comes to authority: first...the positional power of those who hold offices of leadership...second...the influential power of those who have close ties with leaders and can influence their decisions. The more powerful of these two is the position of influence - and this is the secret of going the second mile!"
I thought this was profound. Think about how a baby influences his parents with his adorable faces, and the things he does to make people laugh! As believers, our testimony when we go the second mile can influence our authorities...even those over us who may not be believers, or are even opposed to Christianity! Can you imagine the shock of a Roman soldier if a young Jewish boy offered to carry his heavy pack for another whole mile? A mile is a long time with a heavy backpack!!! However, the times I have applied this principal in my life, I have found that there is a new genuine love for my authority...even if I originally began with resentment and irritation! The conscience decision to go a second mile brings joy to the one who chooses to deny himself!

Recently, one of my homework assignments involved studying the Commands of Christ in chronological order! As I did so, I decided to find out which character qualities are linked to which commands. Mr. Gothard laid out the character qualities and the commands some time ago when he published his seven study guides which covered all 49 commands and it turns out that Deference is the character quality that closely relates to "Going the Second Mile."

"Deference is putting the welfare of others ahead of our own personal pleasures"
(taken from "The Power for True Success" published by IBLP)

As we think about the welfare of our authorities, and put them before ourselves, the concept of "Go the Second Mile" begins to come alive! For example, lets say you have an uncle that's unsaved. You're visiting him for the weekend, and you want to be a good testimony. He's working on some odd jobs around the house, and he asks if you want to help him for an hour or so. Your cousin is also there, but he is off doing his own thing, and unwilling to help his father. You help your uncle for an hour, and then someone comes along and says "Hey, we're going fishing...do you want to come?" You love to fish, but because your uncle is working alone, and you want to be a good testimony, you put his potential welfare (the fact that you might be able to witness to him) ahead of your desires, and decide to stay. Your uncle is surprised, and you now have the opportunity to share with him why you stayed to help.

Something I struggle with a lot is complaining about having to do jobs that seem menial, or pointless to me! I wish I had the outlook more often that a menial task, that may seem unimportant, could very possibly lead to a conversation, or even a decision for Christ on the part of those around me. If I refuse to show deference, I am saying, "The things that I am interested in are more important than your eternal welfare." That is certainly not the message I desire to communicate to others. When I think about the person I want to be, it is often very different than the person I usually am. This seems to be a problem for more than one person (me)! When I think I can do it...I really can't! So, what are some practical ways to apply the command to "Go the Second Mile"? After all...it's a command, not a choice!

  • If you offend someone, don't just apologize, but if possible, make restitution!
  • If you're asked to fold one basket of laundry, get all the laundry through (a personal favorite of mine :-D)!
  • If you see a mother juggling way too much for one person, don't just pick up what she dropped, see if you can help her to her destination!
  • Don't just hand out a tract...ask the person if they want to hear about it!
  • When you find out about a prayer need, don't just write it down...pray about it!
  • You listen to a sermon every Sunday...don't just listen...make life application!
  • If you're asked to do something, try doing it for double the time that was requested!
  • Defer your right to do something exciting so someone else can go who might have had to stay back.
A few months ago, our family was going to go rafting. I have a two-year-old brother, and he wasn't old enough to go yet. My mom had never been, and she really wanted to try it, but she was worried about the baby. There was only one solution. I would have to be the one to stay back, because none of the other older kids could be alone that long, and my dad was the only one who knew how to steer the raft! My mom didn't ask me to stay back, but I knew she really wanted to go. I also knew I really, really wanted to go! The morning after we discussed the dilemma as a family, I was reading in my quiet time, and I felt God prompting me to deny myself...to defer to my authority, and put her welfare, and enjoyment before my own. I went to my mom, and I told her I'd take Timmy so she could go rafting. She was grateful...but...the trip ended up falling through, and we never even went. I have to say though, that for days after that decision (before we decided not to go), I had an extreme joy, and anticipationation as I looked forward to the opportunity to "Go the Second Mile." Sometimes it doesn't mean doing something for twice as long. Sometimes it means doing something you weren't going to have to do at all, and deciding to take the leap, just because you know it's the right thing to do!
It's hard to trust God to make it worthwhile to "Go the Second Mile", but He does. The influence God can give us as we demonstrate the power of the "Second Mile" is illustrated by the rudder of a large ship. Though tiny and not even visible, it has the power to control the direction of the entire vessel. May God give us the ability, though we are often unseen, to influence those who rule over us for the Lord, giving HIM the glory, as we exercise the power of the command, "Go the Second Mile."

-Hannah
Phil 2:13

2 comments:

Dakota January 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing, and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well: wwwnocondemnation81.blogspot.com

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota

Unknown January 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM  

Thanks for commenting! I checked out your blog, and also found your photography blog. You have nice pics! I'm a photographer and graphic designer, so it was nice looking through your stuff. Hope this blog will encourage you in your walk with the Lord!
-Hannah

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP