Do Not Covet

>> Thursday, April 15, 2010


Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. (Luke 12:15)
We don't like to think of ourselves as covetous people!!! It's not a pleasant thought, but the fact of the matter is, that we walk around every day saying "If so n' so has this thing, why can't I have it too?" At least I do! I find myself wrapped up in material things so much that I forget the glory of God...I forget to see him for who he is! Is his glory and his presence really worth trading in for material things? I think one of our greatest downfallings is that we put ourselves in boxes and beg God for earthly treasure. God wants us to rise above our selfishness to his brilliance so that he can give us eternal treasure which will last for eternity! The world tells us that our life purpose relies on what we own. The real truth however is that the kingdom of God is within us. Our purpose lies in furthering that kingdom and in doing everything we possibly can for our Savior...to keep that Kingdom pure, clean, spotless, for the Master's use! It was only a few weeks ago that God was showing me all of this...

"Lord, I know I've been here three times. I'm grateful for all you've done so far. Now I want you to show me the little things...the blind spots in my life...that are holding me back from your greatness." God must have laughed at my obliviousness. "Hannah, you are still holding onto some BIG things. How can I deal with the little ones?" I protested for several days. Clothes, music, email, cell phones, friends, all of it had to go on God's alter. Sure, I had said I had "surrendered all" but God knew the bigger picture. I was not living a life totally sold out for him. I was placing my desire for the things of the world above my hunger and thirst for Jesus Christ.
It is often painful to deal with things that we hold onto for so long. It is hard to say "Lord, you were right, I was wrong." Most of all, it is hard to go home and tell your mom and dad that you were wrong and they were right!!!!! However, it is necessary. What is more worth it...The presence of God, or the presence of earthly things? What is more important? Getting your way, or leaving the choice up to God? My story is not the only one. America's teenagers live off of this method of thinking. "How much can I get to fit into society???" It is the big world-wide question. Think on it. It's silly!


In the clip below by Eric Ludy, he explains how Jesus Christ has set out a banquet for us...but we hesitate to partake in that...why? Because we are afraid to leave behind the things that we'll have to give up for Jesus Christ. Take a few minuets and watch this and realize that God's glory, his presence, his banquet, is worth more than any earthly possession ever will be to us!



Think on these things.
Love you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP