Honor Your Parents

>> Friday, April 9, 2010

My heart was heavy for a friend of mine as I heard the news about her husband's death. A newly married young woman in her early 20's now found herself in a position she never desired: a mother of a bright young boy but widow of a man who committed suicide. I was serving at IBLP's headquarters when I heard the sad news, and after explaining the situation to Mr. Gothard, was surprised when he said, "Rejoice!" Rejoice... rejoice when my dear friend is suffering? "Rejoice," he counseled, "that God's Word is being proven to be true." Ephesians 6:2 and 3 say,

"Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."

Indeed, God's Word was being proven to be true. As much as my heart went out to my friend, I also recognized that she had not honored her parents, but had, in fact, rebelled against their authority and counsel, and married this man against their wishes. The blessing of God can not rest on one who has rejected the very ones God has provided to protect her.- it would be unjust for God to cause to prosper one who has thrust himself outside of the umbrella of authority and into the whelms of the world!

There is hope for someone in this situation, though. God
is merciful, and will forgive anyone
who is repentant and aligns their life back into harmony with the principles that have been laid out in the Bible. Mary Magdalene, the Prodigal Son and Jonah are all examples of this.

We can not look at every trial someone goes through and assume it is because they have not honored their parents-- John 16:33 says, "In the world ye shall have tribulation:". It is good, rather, to examine our own lives, as often our trials are brought on by our own foolishness; foolishness that could have been avoided had we had embraced the Scriptures. It is an incredible blessing to have a mother and father to help us lead a God-honoring life and avoid the pitfalls of one void of understanding. I am deeply thankful that my parents have chosen the route of homeschooling in order to protect and shelter me from harming influences, and who seek the Lord on my behalf. Parents that I have the privilege of going to with a transparent heart when I am struggling, that I might benefit from their wisdom and protection. God will lead through parents, even though they are imperfect.

Soon enough, we may be responsible for the rearing up of our own children. How do we want them to respond to our counsel? Are we responding that way to our own parents? Proverbs 10:1 says, "A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother." The responsibilities only increase as a man or woman gets older. Why, then, would we add to the burden our parents bear by erring from the way that is right?

III John 1:4 says, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." I believe every Christian parent could add a hearty amen to this verse! Let us strive to make a "glad father" by obeying the first commandment with promise:

"Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."

2 comments:

Daniel and Rachel April 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

Very true...I felt so awful for her when I heard the news, but I can see your point as well. Training up your children isn't a job to take lightly...

Unknown April 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM  

wow..Em, that is so powerful. thanks for sharing from your heart!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP