Repent

>> Monday, December 7, 2009

Repentance is not sorrow that we sinned, sorrow that we hurt others or even sorrow that we got caught. Although sorrow and repentance often go hand in hand, it is important not to confuse one with the other. II Corinthians 7:10 says,

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Sorrow is a feeling of grief, sadness or regret. Repentance involves action. Our primary grief over our sin should not simply be focused on the virtue of our actions, but on the result of our actions, which is stated in Psalm 66:18:

If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.

True repentance is motivated by a desire to restore

our relationship and fellowship with God.



The humility needed for sincere repentance will develop in us a gracious spirit towards others as we realize that we, too, are sinners, and are completely dependent upon God's mercy and grace to forgive us, restore our relationship with Him, and give us the desire and power to do His will in the future.




Because just turning from something wrong would be incomplete repentance, a good question to ask ourselves would be, How can I demonstrate my repentance?” Simply refraining from sin would only be a 90 degree turn, and true repentance involves a 180 degree change in our behavior: turning from sin and to righteousness.

Paul demonstrated true repentance by turning from persecution to promotion. In Philippians 3 he gives some of his biography:

Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith; That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
(See Philippians 3:5-10)

Paul was a pursuer. But he didn’t stop pursuing when he repented of his sin; he changed his pursuit from persecution the church to the promotion of the church and cause of Jesus Christ: a 180 degree turn from sin, to righteousness.

…this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
(See Philippians 3:13b-14)


Verses to Memorize:

Revelations 3:19
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Psalm 51:1-4
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Acts 8:22
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Proverbs 1:23
Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

II Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

2 comments:

Unknown December 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown December 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

I definitely think that the 180 degree turn is important and vital to our relationship with God and with others. The meaning of "Repent" according to Strong's Concordance is "Regret accompaned by a true change of heart towards God."Just as Emily said, repentance does not simply require grief, but action on our part.
There have been SO many times in life where I have said "Lord, why can't I just wait for the other person to repent...they started it!" God calls us to repentance not because we committed the greater sin in the issue, but because we committed the greater sin towards God. Mr. Gothard is quick to point out that when we choose to compare ourselves to God, verses the people around us, we will find that even our righteousness is like filthy rags!
Also, Jesus came to free those who were bound. Anyone who thinks they are beyond forgiveness and chooses not to repent as a result needs to come to the realization that Jesus is waiting for those who will receive his free gift of forgiveness.
King David is an excellent illistration along with Paul of a man who demonstrated true repentance after being confronted by the prophet Nathan about his sin with Bathsheba.When I look at his life, I am convicted because he did not defend himself when confronted, but repented and recognized his sin immediately.I think we can all agree that Godly anguish over our sin works the fruit of righteousness far above what we could attain by grieving over consiquences!
Anyways, thank you Emily for a wonderful post! I look forward to what God will show me and each one of us as we seek him!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP