Beware of Leaven

>> Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees." Matthew 16:6



The first question which is good to ask for this command is, "What is Leaven?" When I think of Leaven, I think of the yeast that we put in bread to cause it to rise. This is probably the first thing that came to the disciples minds when Jesus told them to beware of leaven because this is what happened next.


"And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread."

Matthew 16:7



I didn't spend much time studying this command so I may have missed a few, but I found four different uses for leaven in the Bible.



The first one was for yeast which we put into bread, like I mentioned above.



The Second refers to Doctrine or Teaching


"Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees."

Matthew 16:12


We can easily be pulled away into wrong thinking and unbiblical beliefs, this is why Sound Doctrine is so important. If you read 1 & 2 Timothy you will see that Paul warns Timothy over and over again to be careful about sound doctrine (healthy teaching)



The Third refers to Hypocrisy


"In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops."

Luke 12:1-3


Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Colossians 2:8



The fourth refers to Sin (Read 1 Corinthians 5:1-6)


"Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?"

1 Corinthians 5:6


There is a saying that little compromises lead to big consequences. I've found this to be true. I find myself doing wrong things that I never thought I would ever do and when I look back to see how this happened, it’s a little pride I allowed, or "small" wrong thoughts I allowed that caused me to stray farther and farther away from God's path.


Proverbs says it well.

"Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man."  Proverbs 24:33-34



How can we apply this command?



Here's a good question to ask yourself. Are there areas in which I have allowed a compromise that could grow into a destructive sin.?



We should saturate ourselves with God's word so we will be more likely to recognize leaven in our lives and in the teaching of false prophets.



We need to ask God for understanding in this area so we can be effective vessels for Him


"Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart."

Psalm 119:33-34



Lastly I would encourage you to read and apply Proverbs 2 ….When wisdom enters your heart…..Discretion will preserve you…..

3 comments:

Barbara January 13, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

Hey! What a great encouragement you all's site is. I've been studying the commands of Christ, and there is so much in them. And, it is so true that God will manifest Himself to those who follow His laws. God bless you!

Emily Mitton January 13, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Barbara, welcome to our site! Amen; neither God's Word nor His commands can be exhausted. May God bless you as you continue in your study and pursuit of Christ!

Unknown January 14, 2010 at 5:48 AM  

Grace,
Thank you for your very encouraging post. I really got some greater insight into what this means. I really appreciate you defining the four ways that this word is used. It helped me to see it in a whole different light! It is always good when something like this makes us hungry to study God's word more.
@Barbra...I echo Emily...Welcome. Hope you are as encouraged as I have been by reading and contributing to this blog!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP