Want it for yourself? Do it for others

>> Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

I'm thrilled with the Scriptures the rest of you are presenting and know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the good work our Lord has begun in our hearts is continuing in this moment. Thank you to all who have invested their insights through this Commands of Christ blog.


This command is such a great one.



Therefore all things



whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,



do ye even so to them,



for this is the law and the prophets.






Isn't this great? It isn't the golden rule for nothing! This gets us thinking of everything we enjoy receiving and in turn make those desires a giving list for others. And then besides the tremendous blessedness of giving, we receive the wonder of fulfilling the law and the prophets. You're probably like me and get a certain amount of satisfaction by getting things done. I write myself list as much for the thrill of checking things off as I do for the mental organization. But when I can "kill two birds with one stone" I feel like I've hit a home run. All those bases covered at once! Do you know, friends, that in fulfilling this command, we're also covering the old testament laws, the exhortations of the prophets and the words of Jesus at once!

Jesus came not to minister unto but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many. What sacrifice for us all! As a child I talked about this command and preached it when I felt it was being violated in regards to me! In one of those talk a young friend wasn't sure how it would work out to benefit him. If he did for others, who would do for him?

Then early one morning, many years later, I happened to meet a jogged as I was roller blading in Chicago. Our talk took on some of the same conversational hues. Her main goal in life was to keep happy by being in top physical shape. Her social/economic profile read of riches, education and status. In probing for the reasoning behind my volenteer position and chastity choices, her questions fired one after another. I huffed and puffed up and down hills that hot summer morning. After over 2 miles, she paused and then asked, "If I serve God and put others first, who will look after me?" I smiled as we pushed on because the question echoed from my own heart's history. It was then that I introduced to her the incredible concept of God's love. When we know God as our caring and generous Father we can afford to give everything as Jesus did to "do unto others what we would have them do to us." God is faithfully and richly rewards in comparison with the small kindnesses we learn to give with joy to others.
I love promises: "...as thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee; thy reward shall return upon thine own head." Obadiah 1:15
I've seen this command in action up close and personal. You see, my Mom's older brother, Shan, who has down's syndrome, has been living with us for several years. This summer he was diagnosed with cancer which has paralysed him from the waist down. Seeing my mom put all her nurse's training and the essence of "do unto others" into practice in her care for him, it is easy to see the quality of life it brings. There aren't any thank you's, but there is fulfilment knowing that God is pleased. It comes naturally to her because she loves him so much and has taught us how to care for him in the best way possible too. It is all part of putting ourselves in his shoes. In doing so, my Mom has become a sermon in shoes.
"But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?" 1 John 3:17
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others." Philippians 2:4
"Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth." 1 Corinthians 10:24
"As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." Galatians 6:10
"Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measure to you again." Luke 6:38
May the love, honor, forgiveness, help, truthfulness, loyalty, protection and earnest prayer that you and I desire of others be free flowing from our hearts to all the "others" in the sphere of our influence. For whatever we do for others, we do for Christ.
Love in Jesus,
Janny






1 comments:

Unknown January 22, 2010 at 5:07 AM  

Wow Janny, what an amazing and accurate picture for us in this command! I really appreciate the amazing insights I was able to get, just by reading your post. I have found myself making lists and blocking out everyone else in order to check them off. I realize now how selfish that is and how I need to lay my own agenda aside in order to do things for other people. Ever since I have been very young, I have wanted someone to see a servants heart in me...but honestly, it really isn't there, at least at home. Thank you for the reminder to keep pressing on and to overtake what seems impossible. Miss you!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP